Fakes, spam, and scams – no one likes fraud. You can help us make LOVOO an open-minded, honest place.
It’s really easy: If you come across a suspicious profile, take screenshots if you can and report it to us. We will then take action against it.
Here is a brief overview of fakes, spam, and scams and how to quickly identify such profiles:
Fake profiles (profiles that do not represent the person behind them):
- masquerade as someone who they are not
- are not verified
- do not want to meet with you in person
- may try to damage the reputation of another person
- try to exploit the community
Spam profiles (Profiles that are used to disseminate unwanted advertising for other products or platforms):
- try to direct users to another (commercial) website
- try to write to you outside of LOVOO (often on the grounds that they cannot do so with LOVOO)
- write to users with prepared text
Scams (fraudulent profiles that seek to harm other users):
- try to quickly make contact with you outside of LOVOO
- often report rather unbelievable and pitiful stories (e.g. they say they are abroad because of a job or military deployment, they need money for world travel)
- quickly ask for money, often after they have told you about a stroke of misfortune
- are pretty quick to declare their love and write overly corny messages.
Technical measures to prevent, identify and combat spam attacks
In general, we distinguish between the following three types of spam: Fake profiles, spam profiles, and scam profiles. To make things easier, we have summarized these different types of profiles as “Spam” in the following.
We have a team specialized in the prevention of these attacks to combat spam. They classify and remove spam in a number of comprehensive steps. These include:
- the secure transmission of data,
- Combating invalid email addresses,
- hiding profiles that are not fully authorized from other users
- regularly improving our anti-spam technologies and regulations.
What if this isn’t enough?
If spammers still succeed in getting past LOVOO's security barriers, the real-time and machine-learning algorithms that automatically identify unusual user behaviour in LOVOO will take effect.
What happens when a profile is classified as spam?
If a profile is classified as spam, it will be clocked and will need to be verified, e.g. with photo or SMS verification. Until a profile classified as spam is verified, it will be hidden from the LOVOO platform and will no longer be able to contact LOVOO users.
How can you help us?
You can also help to learn more about spam attacks. Your information about potential spam profiles will be checked by our Customer Care Team. Even long-standing fake profiles can be detected and removed. If you have come across a profile that you think is spam, use the report feature in the app or contact our Customer Care Team. Thanks for your support!
What’s more, on this page we have compiled more information and tips about this topic for you.