No one likes fraud, including fakes, spam and scams, and that is why we systematically tackle it. You can help us to make LOVOO an open and honest place. It's really easy to do. Have you spotted a suspicious profile? Take some screenshots and report it to us. We will take appropriate measures against it.
Here is a brief overview of fake, spam and scam profiles and how you can quickly identify them:
Fake profiles (profiles that do not represent the person behind them):
- pretend to be someone they are not.
- are not verified.
- do not want to meet with you in person.
- may try to damage the reputation of another person.
- try to exploit the community.
spam profiles (profiles that are used to disseminate ads for other products or platforms):
- try to divert members to another (commercial) website.
- try to message you outside of LOVOO (often giving the reason that they couldn't do this on LOVOO),
- send members with preprepared texts.
Scam profiles (fraudulent profiles that want to hurt other members):
- quickly try to establish contact with you outside of LOVOO,
- often recount quite implausible and pitiful stories (e.g. they claim to be abroad because of a job or military deployment, or they need money for a trip around the world),
- quickly ask for money, often after they have talked about an alleged misfortune,
- quickly declare their love and write overly cheesy messages.
Technical measures to prevent, identify and combat spam attacks
We generally distinguish between the following three types of spam: fake profiles, spam profiles and scam profiles. To make things easier, we have summarized these different types of profiles under "spam".
To prevent spam, we have a team specialized in preventing these attacks. They classify and remove spam is several comprehensive steps. These include:
- the secure transfer of data,
- combatting invalid email addresses,
- hiding not fully authorized profiles for other members,
- regularly improving our anti-spam technologies and rules.
What if that's not enough?
Should spammers still manage to overcome LOVOO's security barriers, the real-time and machine-learning algorithms that automatically identify conspicuous user behaviour on LOVOO will come into action.
What happens if a profile is categorized as spam?
If a profile is categorized as spam, it will be blocked and need to be verified. As long as a profile classified as spam is not verified, it will be hidden from the LOVOO platform and prevented from making contact with LOVOO members.
How can you support us?
You can also actively contribute to learning more about spam attacks. Your reports of possible spam profiles will be checked by our Customer Care Team, so that even fake profiles that have existed for some time can be detected and removed. If you have come across a profile that you think is spam, use the reporting function in the app or contact our Customer Care Team. Thanks for your support! Together we will make LOVOO a safe place.
By the way, we have more information and advice on this topic on this page.